Saturday, October 13, 2007

Assignment 1.1 – Technology Autobiography


September 14, 2007

Eleven years into my teaching career, I have a moderate amount of technological knowledge. When I began teaching, I had heard of the internet, but had never used it. My school had an intranet which we used solely for e-mail. Wow, times have changed!

Most of my experience with technology in the classroom has been a case of me using the computer to support my instruction – research, PowerPoint presentations to present information, word processing... Two years ago, my school began using blogs as opposed to a “Homework Hotline” for school to home communication. We have also gone to an online grading program which allows parents and students the opportunity to see grades in all classes at any time. In recent years, my students have used technology predominantly for word processing and research. I’m looking forward to enriching the technology use in my classroom by incorporating what I learn in this Master’s program.

Our school now has brand new laptop carts equipped with 28 computers. Each five-man team shares a cart. So the accessibility of computers has greatly increased in the past 5 months, and my classroom will soon be equipped with a smart board, ceiling mounted LCD projector, student response systems, and more. My goal is to move beyond the superficial use of technology and reach the point where it is embedded in my lessons in a natural way – not just technology for the sake of technology. In recent years I realized that I needed to educate myself so that I could better prepare my students for the future!

No comments: