Saturday, August 18, 2007

Flickr - Who knew!?!

I was looking through Holly's Furl archives and came across this article from Tech Learning, The Promise of Social Networking, by Derek Baird. I thought that I had done a pretty thorough job of exploring Flickr after we discussed it in class. In fact I love the site and have gone back to it many times for various reasons. But I had no idea of the potential for using Flickr in the classroom. Baird offers many suggestions for incorporating the site into the curriculum. My first thought was that this might not be the site for students, but in fact it is quite "clean". Also, "Flickr has partnered with Creative Commons licensing to provide a way for community members to legally share content and use photographs for non-commercial use."

I think this will be a great way to get out of the student PowerPoint presentation rut in my class.

1 comment:

jobee13 said...

I have kept telling myself I would go back and look at Fickr but haven't yet...I am on it! I think it may be useful for Social Studies to find pictures of culture, people, etc. from around the world. I wonder how it would work with Movie Maker.